Thursday, May 8, 2008

Raj Patel = Enlightenment

Sitting in for the talk that Raj Patel gave today was a very eye-opening experience for me. The views and opinions he expressed were very well informed. He effectively communicated the urgency and importance of the issues because they were backed up well by his arguments ( eg. 5 reasons why food has become so expensive). I was definitely inspired by his passion, and was waiting for words of advice, empowering words that would encourage us to do our part in fixing the problem of the imbalance in the worldwide distribution of food.

However I was a little disappointed when the words did not come and at a loss because he seemed to offer no solution, or ideas about individual stances we can take to help with imbalance of food distribution in the world. I thought that I was making a small difference by trying to buy organic and local, but I was informed that it really was not that effective.

No comments: