Once a week (usually on a Sunday), I will indulge in a LARGE bacon deluxe meal from Hungry Jacks (what Burger King is called in Australia). The taste of the juicy meat and bacon on the burger with the ketchup drenched fries washed down with coke is something I find irresistible. I have spent many Sundays lying on the couch with a food induced coma as a result, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. This is a ritual that I look forward to during the week as Sunday is the only day that I allow myself to eat unhealthily.
Although I know that the meat they use in the burger patty and the ingredients they use to make up the rest of the meal are incredibly unhealthy and the means to acquire them are probably morally questionable. I find the greasy goodness of it to be something I cannot avoid. Because it comes from a food chain, the quality is consistent, the taste is always the same, and therefore never disappoints. My weekend feels incomplete without it. I associate with the down time I get to have after a busy week of school, work and volunteering.
After watching the short animation movie ‘The Meatrix’ , really brought the issues associated with the meat industry to the forefront of my mind. I never really thought about it in terms of animal cruelty, pollution, bacteria spread etc. . I mean I knew it was bad, but I never took the time to think about how multi-faceted the problems associated with the meat industry were. For a long time, I’ve taken the ‘blue pill’, envisioning the portion of cow I ate was only grazing in a grass field a week prior. I think maybe its time that I took the red pill and see things as they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment